This is how almost every romantic comedy works.
1. Boy meets girl
2. They like each other
3. He screws up
4. He does something huge to win her back
5. Credits roll....as well as my eyes.
I don't care that it's a sexist formula, implying guys screw everything up, but that it's an overdone formula. We also must consider what this plants in the minds of women. No matter how much of a jerk a guy is, he can change, and will change, and the two of you will live happily ever after. It also says that a guy should bend over backwards to earn them. SCREW. THAT. Relationships go two-ways. If I ever met a girl who had these kind of demands on me (and I have), I would be (and have been) out the door so fast it would (AND HAS) make their head spin. It is not my job to cut off an appendage every time someone looks at my girl funny. This formula also makes girls trust jerks WAY more than guys without criminal records/narcotics addictions/anything else that stands out as a massive red flag to anyone with half a brain.
As you may have noticed, I said only "most" of them suck. Here are three that are good and why.
3. Mr. Deeds- I like this one because SHE screws up and He is depicted as the good guy for one.
2. Benny and Joon- The formula may not be hugely different from the norm, but it's very well done and it doesn't feel like something I've seen five hundred times.
1. Annie Hall- I shouldn't even have to explain this one to you.
That's all. And girls, do your guy a favor, go to a movie with him about something other than men being slaves to the every will of a stale, 2-dimentional control-freak. How bout a god movie now and then? Movies similar to.... District 9, Kill Bill, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Kick-Ass,The Graduate. Seriously, it's not that hard to find a good movie.